Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Sammamish River Trail 6 miles

Current Mile total: 716.5 miles

I headed over to the Footzone club and most everyone was there tonight with some new additions. We were even joined by Brandon. Brandon was the original club coordinator when I first started and one hell of a fast runner. He works for Asics now and is very busy so we only see him every so often. Its workout night so the group split up after about a half mile. One group went to run hill repeats(no thanks) and the other half stayed on the trail to do intervals(still no thanks) . At two miles everyone but Brandon and I started with intervals. We just continued at our comfortable pace and turned around at 3 miles. We talked about him not being able to run as much as he'd like because of work and he was just maintaining a certain level of fitness. Coming back I noticed Brandon lagging just a bit. I wasn't sure if he was just holding back or if he actually was having a hard time keeping up. Around two miles left I picked it up just a bit and we separated. He caught me at about 3/4 miles remaining and commented that I had picked up the pace but we weren't really going that fast. But then I did really pick up the pace and laid the hammer down so to speak. I don't know why I felt compelled to do this. It was a pretty rude thing to do when running with just another person. I think the thought of racing against and beating someone who is clearly a better runner seemed at the time a good idea but its not like I think in those terms when running. Its something in the gut that wants you to be challenged. I think I was trying to instigate a race out of him and either he didn't bite or couldn't. For whatever reason I finished first and felt like a real jerk for it. Anyways, a few of us headed over to Whole Foods and got dinner. Malia sparked my interest in a Half iron man triathlon on July 8th. I haven't yet decided. It would mean buying or renting a wet suit and putting in a lot of swimming in the next month. I could do it, but it seems like a lot of work.

No comments: