Sunday, April 15, 2007

Whidbey Island 26.2 miles

So in the last Runner's World magazine they suggested one way to keep motivated in your running is to keep a running blog. So I've decided I'd like to do this. Why not. Who knows how long I'll keep it up or if I'll ever get past this one blog entry but I figure its worth a shot. Might be fun to look back one day at an extensive journal of all the great runs I've done. I'll also try my best to carry a camera with me at all times so that I may capture for all what it is about running that makes me do it so much. So without further a do, here goes.

I'm also going to track my milage from now on. According to my garmin I have run 493.25 miles since I began using it back in May of 06 Now I've clearly run much more than this as I ran for five years before I got it and I don't use my garmin on every run but I don't have any other way to prove my current milage so I'll just start with what is documented.

Current Mile total: 493.25 miles

Whidbey Island Marathon

OUCH!! I knew this one was going to be tough. But not for the reasons you may think. I did PR of 3:46(personal record for those not in the know) but I should and could have done much better. It may have been that I didn't train hard enough or that I over-trained. But if I had to place blame on one area it would be that I just didn't have the heart to do what I've done in the past. Sure, it was my best run to date based on the time it took to complete, but it ranks in my mind as second worst run I've ever done, second only to my Gulf Beaches marathon where I like a fool thought I could run a marathon with only three weeks training. And even in that run I had more heart and put forth a much better effort than on this last Sunday. So where was my heart? Where was the will that would push me onward and keep me from walking nearly every couple minutes in my last 10 miles? Its gone. Lost to the lonely existence I have up here alone in Seattle. I love it up here so don't get me wrong. I couldn't have made a better choice to move here. But without a good support system around me I just don't have the confidence in myself that I wreaked of just a year ago. And the marathon tests your confidence. It tests it down to your core. So if you have any doubts in yourself it will be exposed. Instead of chanting a mantra of "you can do it" I was repeating "I just can't do this". It was tough. But hey, don't feel bad for me, I expected this was going to happen and I somewhat invited it and looked forward to the confrontation. Because the great thing about running is that I didn't give up and although I did walk frequently and I was lower than I've felt in a long time, I was still not low enough to ever stop. The drive was there to continue and push through all the pain and self doubt and come out strong at the end.It was a great run. It exposed to me the importance of having something to believe. The need for a purpose.

OK, so that's a little heavy so lets dwell on the finer points of the race. It was gorgeous that day. Whidbey Island was simply beautiful starting on deception pass and finishing up in Coupeville. I also got to meet Dean Karnazes at the expo where he spoke, gave out free copies of his book and promptly signed with an inspirational note to me to go get my first Ultra. I was accompanied by my friends Jesse, Andy and Malia. These are three of the great people from the running group I joined when I first moved to Seattle. Jesse ran the half and did well coming just under his PR. It was both Andy and Malia's first attempt at a marathon and they both did amazing. Any marathon for a beginner is a very tough challenge and these two added to that by running alone and on a very difficult course. Andy came in just over 4 hours(over a half hour better than my first) and Malia crushed both of our times by coming in 3 in her age group with 3:34, simply amazing.
Well, Overall it was a great day to be alive and running. Another wonderful memory thanks to the simple pastime that I like to call "being a good animal".

Next Post: Wednesday, Easy run after marathon.

No comments: